Things to see and do - Berlin
Leaving for Germany
Things to do nearby
- 74 €
- 15 €
- 24 €
Hotel Indigo Berlin-Alexanderplatz from88 €Book
H2 Hotel Berlin-Alexanderplatz from63 €Book
Potsdam Bike Tour :
Nearby tourist sites
Potsdam Bike Tour
Potsdam Bike Tour
We start by taking bikes from our TV Tower shop with us on the train for the 25+km journey to Potsdam. In 6.5 - 7 hours, including transport time, our tour covers about 16 km (10 miles) so there is a bit more biking than our other Berlin tours. However, Potsdam is also quite flat with lots of sights and stops.
Here are some of the many reasons why we think you'll love our Potsdam Bike Tour:
- Realizing that with its 20+ palaces, numerous parks and gardens, unique WWII and Cold War role in history, and distinct present-day flair, that Potsdam is far more than the "Versailles of Berlin", but rather earning of its UNESCO World Heritage status in many ways.
- Appreciating the power, lifestyle, and grandeur of the Hohenzollern legacy through their various lavish gardens, parks, and palaces.
- Understanding the impact the Potsdam Agreement at Cecilienhof had on Europe to close out World War II foreshadowing an era of tension and distrust in the ensuing Cold War. Entry and audio guide into Cecilienhof Palace are included and we give you plenty of time to explore the interior!
- Comparing the Potsdam of today - a vibrant university city filled with creative minds and energy - within the backdrop of life under communism behind the Iron Curtain.
At the end of our tour route we take our bikes back on the train with us from a different station in order to get back to the TV Tower.
Itinerary / Activity Schedule
This largest of palaces was built by Friedrick the Great to house guests. It's a magnificent way to kick off the tour before riding along the magnificent Sans Succi park.
The most famous and photographed of Potsdam's palaces is undoubtedly Sanssouci Palace. With its unique yellow color, baroque flair, and location atop Sanssouci Park it's a highlight of the tour. We give you time to walk around the former residence of Friedrick the Great.
Windmill? Indeed. There were once numerous windmills to grind grains in Potsdam. We'll see one beautifully restored and you may think you're in Holland.
There are so many palaces and monuments in Potsdam it's hard not to take them for granted. The beautiful Orangerie was built in typical Italian Renaissance style, adding unique diversity to the architecture surrounding Sanssouci Park.
We give you time to get off the bike and explore Sanssouci Park on your own. Grab numerous pictures and soak in the beauty and tranquility where once Friedrick the Great and Voltaire walked.
Potsdam lies in former East Germany. However, when we cross over the Glienicke Bridge - famous for the spy exchanges that took place here during the Cold War - we'll briefly be in West Berlin.
This was the last of the palaces built by the Hohenzollern royal family in Potsdam. You will find out many more details about it though during the tour: admission and audio guide are included with the tour!
We chose Cecilienhof as the palace to go into not just because of its beauty, but because the famous Potsdam Agreement following WWII was signed here. Truman, Stalin, and Churchill arguably started the Cold War with this conference and document.
Potsdam's Old Town
Part of the quaintness of Potsdam is with its old town. We ride along the path of the former city wall and through old city gates to get a feel for the old vs modern Potsdam.
Bike Though Parks
Part of what Potsdam so unique are its many parks under UNESCO protection. We relaxingly bike through numerous parks commissioned by the royalty to get to the various sites and palaces.
Numerous Photo Opportunities
Potsdam isn't just a bikers playground, it's also ideal for taking pictures. With so many parks, palaces, extravagant monuments, and bombastic houses be sure to bring plenty of film/memory.
- Entry & audio guide in Cecilienhof Palace
- Expert guide
- Meals and drinks (unless specified)
- Personal Expenses
- Tips and Gratuities
- Optional Activity Costs
- Child rates are valid for use of a kid's bike.
- There is a variety of child seats, trailers, and kids' bikes available. If kids fit on a child seat or trailer they are welcome to join for free.
- Most people begin with our City bike tour and then continue on a subject-specific tour of their interest or our Potsdam Bike Tour. Make no mistake - each of the tours are very different and perfect compliments rather than substitutes. In fact, straight from the meeting point they head in completely different directions. Regardless of what tour or tours you choose, you can always expect the same quality of guides, content, and atmosphere.