MICHELIN Travel Discover the world
Home > > > > > Driving in United States USA

Where to sleep?

View 38177 hotels for USA

Driving in United States

Enlarge map

Driving in United States

Information acquired on 11/06/2009

Compulsory documents

Pink EU driving licence.

International driving license (recommended only).

Car registration or rental papers.

Country initials sticker (recommended only).

International Motor Insurance Card.


Owner's permission required if using a vehicle belonging to a third party.

Motorists are advised to contact the Motoring Association for information on local regulations.


Maximum alcohol level : 0 - 0.01 %.

Minimum driving age : 16 years.

Safety belt: compulsory front and back.

Motorcyclists: helmet compulsory for driver and passenger.

Dipped headlights compulsory (night and day) all year round.


Speed limits (Light vehicles)

In built-up areas : 25 - 30 mp/h.

On motorways : 55 - 75 mp/h.

These speed limits are lower in wet weather.

Auto clubs

American Automobile Association (AAA)

United States

Top of page