MICHELIN Travel Discover the world
Home > > > > > Know before you go USA

Where to sleep?

View 37823 hotels for USA

Know before you go

Enlarge map

Know before you go

Useful addresses

United Kingdom

The U.S. does not operate a tourist office in the UK, but some destinations do have representation in the UK (see the list published by the U.S. Embassy in London (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rctour.html) or http://www.visitusa.org.uk/

Embassy of the United States of America – 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1A 2LQ – t 0207 499 9000 – http://www.usembassy.org.uk/

Republic of Ireland

The U.S. does not operate a tourist office in Ireland, but travellers can consult the following website: http://www.visitusa.ie/

Embassy of the United States of America – 42 Elgin Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 – t 01 668 8777 – http://dublin.usembassy.gov/


To enter the United States without a visa, tourists must have a machine readable passport issued before 26 October 2005 or a biometric passport issued after 26 October 2006. If this is not the case, you will require a visa.

Visa-exempt travellers must all fill in an electronic questionnaire (health, criminal record, etc.) 72hr before the date of departure; this can be done on the relevant embassy website.

Travellers must also be able to present a return ticket and indicate where they will be staying (at least for the first night); otherwise they run the risk of being refused entry.


Also see Practical A to Z.

No vaccinations are required. It is essential to make sure you have proper health and travel insurance, because health care expenses are extremely high. Check that such insurance is not included in your credit card.

Top of page